SC - Starter Recipes

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Mar 5 14:10:31 PST 2000

Dear Morgan,

There was someone a while back who was putting together a list of recipes
of foods that were period versions of easily recognizable modern foods.
In it, she was including one of the French Toast-like recipes I had
posted, a salad from Digby that was basically a chicken ceasar salad, and
other things along that line.  I'm not sure how far her project has
gotten, but it sounds like it is along the lines you are thinking of.  At
the risk of sounding like a broken record, have you checked out the
Florilegium?  There are TONS of recipes in there, broken down by type,
and lots of discussion about the various benefits and pitfalls inherent
in each one.  (www.florilegium.org/) There is also a list of books there,
with reviews from folks here and others, that can point you to some good
sources to check out if you are starting a library or can access them
through your library (it pays to become familiar with inter-library
loan).   I was talking to a lady from our group today, and mentioned the
Florilegium to her, and she said she was afraid to start reading it,
fearing her husband would come home at night and ask if the children had
been changed and if there would be dinner that night!  (There is lots of
stuff in there.)
	I would say find a book that has done the redaction for you (our term
for working out a recipe into modern notation and measures), so you can
start from something that looks more familiar.  There are books that are
better than others, usually we like the ones that also have the original
recipe side-by-side with the new one, so that you can compare.  When you
get a feel for these, you will start saying "Gee, I don't agree with
that, I think I'll try it this way instead".  You will hear us talking
about "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" which was done by a lady on this
list - Cindy Renfrew, and it is done in just that way.  Her redactions
are very good, and will produce very good results just the way they are.

	If you can give us an idea of the kinds of foods you are comfortable
making, we can probably give you some recipes for things that are
similar, and get you started.
	Good luck, I hope you enjoy the journey you are starting on!
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies