SC - Wierd vs. tasty tidbit

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Mar 5 17:48:11 PST 2000

Nanna, dear,

If you want some truly weird, um, foods, perhaps I should send you a few
cans of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti Os, or perhaps a recipe for John Marzetti or
Cincinatti Chili- maybe that blamed Oyster Dressing?

In my experience, Midwesterners (of the US) turn what, in other
circumstances, would be perfectly edible foodstuffs into the Gawd-Awfullest
concoctions you've ever tasted.

Now, take tonight. I have, unfortunately, a roommate who was raised on
perfectly proper Southern foods- very unfortunately, he never learned to
cook them properly. He thought he'd surprise me with a pot of beans with
bacon, all out of my pantry, when I got home tonight. Unfortunately, he's
lived in the Midwest too long. His beans were overcooked and blackened, with
un-degreased bacon, and all the salt he could find to throw in as a "spice".

This is not a problem- I had brought home some properly cooked, but cold,
Southern Fried Chicken, green beans, boiled to just tender, and parsleyed
New Potatoes ( a lucky find at one of the local groceries). Given the
choices, and considering he'd volunteered to cook, I suggested that we eat
what I had brought. He asked what to do with it- should he fry the potatoes?
No, said I, just heat everything through, gently, and we could dine. (I'd
cooked everything previously, thinking we could have a simple, easy, tasty
meal on Sunday night, even if I had eaten some of it the night before).

He yelled, "It's boiling!!" and fortunately, I went immediately and looked-
he had the potatoes in with the green beans, both of which had been fully
cooked before they'd arrived, and they were boiling with intentions of
firing up their own steamboat, and heading for China. "Thank you, Jr," said
I, "They're just right. Where's the fried chicken?"

"I haven't boiled it yet", said Jr. "Is it time to throw it in?"

"No, Jr." said I. "It's just right as it is. Would you like some?"

"No thanks," said he. "I don't eat that stuff. You want some of these good
beans?"

No shit, here I am........

Phlip, in culinary purgatory.......

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous