SC - Cooking Shows WAS: Starter Recipes

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Mar 6 09:17:51 PST 2000

Rayne skrev:

>Taste with David Rosengarten.  On Taste he takes just one food and tells me
>the history and everything I would want to know about it, then prepares a
>number of dishes using it.

I'm sorry, I have a little trouble dealing with him- when he goes into
lecturing mode, he reminds me of nothing so much as a lecturing
chipmunk.....

>Cooking Live with Sara Moulton.  Where she actually makes the dishes live
on
>TV and you can call in with questions.

Already discussed her in a previous post.

>East meet West with Ming Tsai.  Just because I like to.  I usually don't
eat
>food like he cooks.

I had watched him a couple of times, with interest, looking for how he was
blending the two cultures, but he utterly lost my interest when he decided
he was going to make "Coq au Vin" minus the "Coq." I'm sorry, but if he's so
weak on his skills he has to take the main ingredient out of a classic dish
and still call it by the classic name, I ain't got time for him. Why
couldn't he have called it "Tofu au Vin"? And I didn't watch the rest of the
show, so for all of me, he could have decided to use fruit juice for the
liquid rather than red wine, so, as far as I'm concerned, a proper name for
the dish might have been "Tofu a l'orange frappe' ".

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous