SC - Re: period Norse

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Mar 6 11:15:44 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:

>Hence, even if lefse were not made out of potatoes, I think your
>"probably" should be no more than a "might be."

Some kind of lefse (but not containing any potatoes) was is mentioned around
1600 (maybe earlier), according to Frederik Grøn: Kostholdet i Norge efter
år 1500 (not sure of the actual title, don´t have the book at hand). There
was a lefse discussion last summer and I see I posted the following then:
"... but lefse derives from hleifr
(loaf) and similar soft flatbread, wrapped around butter, is known from
medieval times."

Nanna