SC - Starter Recipes

Diana tantra at optonline.net
Mon Mar 6 18:09:52 PST 2000

Y'know, I just remembered a wonderful cookbook that has sat on my shelves
for a dogs age!  It is called The Settlement Cookbook..  It was sold thru
many outlets, and you may even be able to find an old copy in used
bookstores, or look one up.

The story behind the cookbook is that it was started by early settlers on
the American Continent.  Many young girls came here as brides, and were not
as adept at cooking as their mothers.  The older women wrote up a cookbook
with old-world recipes to aid the younger women.  My copy has wonderful
descriptions of how to choose meat, fruits, veggies...how to proof yeast,
make bread, cut up just slaughtered critters....almost everything you could
want to know, or need to know.  Not much of that fancy cooking, but there
are many wonderful recipes!

Also, there was a good housekeeping illustrated cookbook sold about 8 years
ago thru Doubleday Book Clubs...

Diana d'Avignon