SC - Feast Beverages

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 07:00:26 PST 2000

Sorry, but at this comment (fast food iced tea) I have to step on my sister's
soapbox.  You remember her - she's the microbiologist that does (did) food
product safety inspections and checks - she is never on the list, but I stand
on her box for her now and then.

Never, ever drink ice tea from a fast food restaurant.  She did an inspection
of all major chains in Atlanta, and a few other big cities, of their ice tea
and everyone did NOT pass.  In fact, some were so bad she said it almost made
her sick to test it.  Seems most places think that to wash the canister out
with warm or hot water is enough.  After all, it's just drink. Even those
that washed it with soap where shocked to learn that did not kill the "bugs".
 Seems the bugs really like to live in the spout thingy.  To be properly
cleaned it has to be removed (and some are NOT removable) or the old bleach
or disinfectant thing has to be done.  Those that live in Atlanta might
remember this - she (rather her results) made the new for a few days.  She
also made 20/20 herself on the Tyson chicken thing.

She also did the testing on fast food chains and discovered that of all the
fast food places that failed "Hardee's" failed the most if you checked them
after they started doing lunch (breakfast was okay).  Now this might not be
true of Hardee's now - they may have changed their ways after the report.

Once when we were living in Utah, I was nagging the husband while we were
driving down the road one afternoon.  He "playfully" pulled into a Hardee's,
parked and turned to me and said, "If you don't stop, I'm going through this
drive-through and ordering you an ice tea!"   Oh, what a fate worse than
death!!  What would my sister say?

Rayne

In a message dated 3/7/00 12:59:41 AM Central Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<< Mordonna wrote:
 >For those new to the list, we had a discussion on here not so very long ago
 >on the proper way to sweeten tea.  Most of us born in the South who learned
 >to cook in the South aqreed that it must be at room temperature or warmer to
 >be properly sweetened.  Colder temperatures result in having undisolved
sugar
 >crystals and having to use much more sugar to get the proper degree of sweet
 >taste.

 I don't remember that thread, but then i rarely drink iced tea, even
 in "real" life. Only when i'm compelled to eat in a fast food
 restaurant by the members of the Puritan guild i'm in when we're
 working a fair. And then unsweetened with a squeeze of lemon and no
 ice. (i really dislike drinks on ice and i don't have sensitive teeth)