SC - Re: aqua vitae

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Mar 7 22:15:54 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/7/00 5:19:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Ras, does anybody import marc brandy into the US? >>
>
> It may be available in PA through SLO or specialty. I was off from work today
> so I didn't have a chance to check.

I checked with my local liquor store this afternoon. Several brands of
imported grappa, but I didn't see any imported marc. There was, however,
one domestic _Oregon_ marc, Brandy Peak for US$24.95/375ml. Brandy Peak
and Pear Creek also make Oregon grappa. The Brandy Peak was US$21.00 for
375ml and the Pear Creek was US$21.95 for 375ml, and US$34.95 for the
750ml. There was also a Clear Creek 'Pot Brandy' which was clear in
colour, for US$29.95/750ml.

The Henri Baron 'Napoleon VSOP' French brandy I'm using for the
blackberry liqueur is US$7.95 a bottle. Of interesting note, there was a
bottle of _French vodka_, Grey Goose for US$24.95 made from wheat, rye,
and barley.

The clear Christian Bros brandy was not on the Oregon list.

I also recall that when I was in Russia, they told me that Stolichnaya
vodka was made regionally, with regional variations. Naturally, the
local (Chita) Stoli was better than say Moscow. It would be easy to
assume the grain used was local, so the qualities of the local grain
would affect the local vodka. Seems reasonable.

> <<Grappa might be another option, being the Italian
>  equivalent. That, I'm pretty sure, is widely available in the US>>
>
> Yes, Grappa is widely available but also VERY expensive. 20+ dollars a fifth
> for the least expensive with pints of the more upscale grappa starting at
> around 40 dollars or so.

Given the extensive wine production of California, are there any
inexpensive domestic California marcs or grappas?

Seumas