SC - Scotch Eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 7 23:06:57 PST 2000

> I am going to make Scotch Eggs for Friday.  I've read the recipe but never
> actually made them before.  Some advice please.

Check this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (11K) 12/17/99    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.

> 1.   Wrapping a 5-6 minute egg in ground beef / turkey sausage....
> How hard boiled is the egg at that point?  Wouldn't it just gush out, OR do
> you just wrap very carfully & gingerly?

If the egg is not cooked solid enough, I suspect the problem part may
be in getting the shell off, even before you put the sausage on. I think
some of the comments in the file explain what to do to make the sausage
stick together better.

I think I've been boiling closer to 9 minutes. I think my cookbook said
10-12 minutes for large eggs. But I may be overdoing it.

> 2.How thick a coating of ground sausage do you give each egg?
>
> 3 Is another name for Scotch Eggs:  "hedgehogs"?

Nope. Hedgehogs are lumps of meat with almond slivers stuck in them,
if I remember right. I think there are messages on them in the
sotelties-msg file in the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net