SC - Wierd vs. tasty tidbit

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 8 04:49:16 PST 2000

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > I've seen the word before and may have seen it in the grocery. So, what
> > is "gifilte" fish?

And Adamantius explained:
> Gefilte fish, or gefülte fish, is a preparation of minced fish with
> eggs, seasonings which may or may not include vegetables, and matzoh.
[snip]

The traditional condiment for gefilte fish is prepared horseradish, either
red or white, according to the eater's taste.  I prefer red, which gets its
color from beets.

I once took some gefilte fish to work, and, not wanting to tote a jar of
horseradish with me, put a large dollop in the container with the fish.
By the time that lunch came around, the horseradish had gotten pretty
evenly distributed, and what I had in my container was two bright pink
lumps.  A non-Jewish co-worker asked me what I was eating.

"Gefilte fish," I said, matter-of-factly.

She stared at it again, and asked incredulously, "What kind of fish is a
gefilte?"

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann