SC - Re: RAbiola rabiole could this be related to RAFIOWLS

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 9 05:11:14 PST 2000

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/8/00 8:19:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:
>
> << Micoli, in his edition of Maestro
>  Martino, mentions earlier uses of "rabiola" or "rabiòle" (1243 and
>  before 1223). >>
>
> There are several recipes in England and FRance (14th C) for rafyols or
> raifowls or rissoles. Are we talking semantics /linquistics?

Indeed there are several such recipes in the 14th-15th century
Anglo-Norman corpus. Their relation to the other recipes under this name
is probably comparable to the similarities between all the different
recipes under the genral category of rissoles/ryschews, and, arguably,
even the elusive cuskynole.

Ravioli are united, in [somebody's] theory, by their supposed
resemblance to a little turnip, so they don't necessarily have to be
encased in pasta. I believe the Anglo-Norman sources may have been
ignored in favor of earlier-documented use of the word...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com