SC - Re: crab apple verjuis

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 10 07:45:24 PST 2000

Another good cheat that works for us in making cider from regular apples is freezing the whole apples rock solid, then thawing them.  What this will do is rupture the cell walls of the rigid plant cells and make juicing a walk in the park.  The apples are hard to even cut without mushing them a bit when thawed.

It should also work with carabapples.  We have a 12 ton hydraulic press rigged to press the 'cheese', and I am looking forward to some crabapple jus this year.  We have mostly made cider with the rig, but there are plans for lots of stuff . . . gotta find green grapes at pruning season this year.  Anyone know when that would be, within a month or so?  I know it can very by location and varietal.

niccolo difrancesco