SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Mar 10 12:59:28 PST 2000

At 1:50 PM -0500 3/10/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

>No, the Anglo-Norman MSs are believed to be, with the exception of the
>Harpestraeng MS and its relatives, the oldest known _medieval_
>European cookbooks.

I think that has to be "medieval European non-Islamic cookbooks."
Spain is geographically part of Europe, although it was culturally
part of the civilized world in the 13th century, before the Franks
finished reconquering it. And there are Andalusian cookbooks that are
almost certainly earlier than the Anglo-Norman.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/