SC - Not Killing yourself in the Kitchen

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Mar 11 23:13:12 PST 2000

> Mistress C:
 Among the cook-ly types I hang with, we have a little tradition.
 When one of us is the Kitchener for an event, the rest of us are
Dobermans.  The one who's on the line for the event is physically removed
(and with some
 of our over-achievers, physically can mean picked up and carried out)
from
 the kitchen for at least one half-hour at mid-day and taken someplace
quiet where they can have a real lunch served to them.  This has been
extremely  helpful to all of us, since cooks have a tendency to forget
about themselves
 when they're hard at it in the kitchen.
> Walk in peace,
> Wolfmom

	My late husband (Master Knikolos, who was originally from Trimaris, one
of Taly's proteges, btw) got me started bringing a prepared lunch when I
was cooking.  The first time he walked in with a Subway sandwich, I said
"But we have all of this food here!" to which he replied "And how much of
it is ready to eat right now?".  He was right, and having something in
the fridge to eat for lunch is now part of my routine, or part of the
pre-planning I teach to my students.  You are so right, it is easy to
forget to care for yourself when you are in the process of preparing a
feast (or autocratting, or any other large task).
	Christianna