SC - Lady Seaton's Project

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Tue Mar 14 15:32:47 PST 2000

My advice to Lady Phillipa Seton is to Proceed With Caution. You are
probably pursuing the easier solution to your problem, but it could
backfire, so you ought not to rely too heavily on the method.

Adamantius,

There's an easy solution:  write out the period recipe.  State the
changes made and the reasons they were made: " This recipe can be adapted
to a vegetarian by setting aside the main ingredients before the meat
goes in, adapted for a low sodium diet by using no salt and a low sodium
oleo or sweet butter, adapted for ......"

This does not account for the recipe borrower who will cook something 5
years from now without reference to the recipes, but it does protect
Phillipa and provide the students in her Pennsic class--and I'll be
one--with the knowledge of the period form and the adaptation, etc.
Right, Phillipa?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com