SC - Competition entry

Jeanne Stapleton apiskp at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 16:03:24 PST 2000

> In your cup??? Puh-leeeeeze! We're not throwing
> change to the servants
> here! I stuck around and spoke to as many people as
> I could, and if I
> gave a token I placed it in the hand, or around the
> neck, of the person,
> depending on what it was. With one exception, in the
> case of one gentle
> for whom I had far more nefarious plans. However, I
> suppose a gesture is
> as gracious as it is perceived to be, so if people
> liked the cup thing,
> that's cool too.

Yet another oddball minority perspective...one of the
things I dislike about the "displays" is the expec-
tation (when it arises) that one will be with one's
work all day.  I want to go look at what other people
have done.

Also, extrovert that I am notwithstanding, I usually
don't want to talk to everyone about what I've done--I
don't mind answering questions, and I don't mind
answering questions from judges, but particularly in
competitions, I'd rather go away and let the judges
be free to talk among themselves and do what they're
going to do.  Another point of departure is that I
prefer *written* feedback that I can keep, look up
suggested sources, and digest--I entered a display
in one kingdom wehre the judges were *forbidden* to
give written feedback, for fear, I guess, that one
of their comments would be taken the wrong way, or
that they'd write down some unfeeling slams and leave.

*That* exercise, I feel, was a waste of my time.

Chaque a son gout,
Berengaria