SC - viking age porridge

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 20:06:59 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/15/2000 12:35:27 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
parlei at algonet.se writes:

<<
 I spoke earlier of a viking age (a 10th C. Gotland womans grave, IIRC)
 porridge based on archeological finds. I just rechecked with the one of
 the archaeologist who worked with the find, and what the analysis said
 was that it contained barley and pea, with milkfats most likely from
 sheep.

 I first thought that I should play with this in pease, and then propose
 a reconstruction based on the data. But then I decided that this group
 had too little traffic, and decided to see what could be done with it.

 Ok, what suggestions does the group have for how to reconstruct it?

First, and simplest.  Boil dried peas and barley until tender and add
(sheep's?) butter for flavor.  Season with whatever savory spices or herbs
you have. (salt, garlic, rosemary, etc....)
Still not a documentably period recipe, no one wrote it down, but simplest is
always the best.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt