SC - Evolution of food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 16 07:16:20 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/16/00 7:33:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, RichSCA at aol.com
writes:

<< To you (really) believe that the high-yield produce that we get in the
 grocery stores today are just like they were before modern science "improved
 them". >>>

Obviously they are not the same if they have been improved. However,
'high-yield is a result of use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides more
than 'improvement.' Also many improved varieties are not 'improved' but
rather there is a lack of flavor in favor of better shipping qualities. If
there is any change it is that the flavors from commercially produced produce
are less intense than before. However, it has been my experience that beets
are beets are beets the world over. Your original post di not mention that
you were talking about 'commercial' varieties.

<< I.e. The huge red apples, oranges, carrots, beets, etc.>>

Generally the opposite is true. Because of standardization in the industry,
fruits in general (especially apples) are smaller than their counterparts of
even 10 years ago. The size of a fruit is not indicative of whether it is
period or not.

Many things have not been changed and the changes you site are not as
dramatic as you seem to think they are. Also species seed is available for
home and hobby growing as are many older varieties.

  <<Do you  think the flavor is just the same?  >>

As I said before if any changes have occurred in commercial produce it is in
the lack of flavor but do you really believe that almonds tasted different in
the middle ages than they do now? Even if your argument of 'higher yields' is
given credence cabbage still tastes like cabbage and carrots like carrots. I
think you are giving modern science more credit than it is really due. Also
home varieties are bred for flavor so flavorful produce is still around. Take
away the technology and there are far more similarities and even sameness
than not. Modern things are extensions from the past, they are not newly
created and unique. If nothing else the lesson of history teaches that every
thing is the same, only the accessories change.

Ras