St. Patrick's Day (was Re: SC - OT - For Our Inverted Friends in Lochac)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 17 06:02:38 PST 2000

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> Doubtlessly, you and other cooks might prefer Saint Brigid, who was
> compulsively generous.  She miraculously increased butter and cheese,
> and on more than one occasion, turned water into beer.

Nah, I'll stick with Saint Lawrence. Cooks oughtta have a sense of
humor. By the way, FWIW, I have also turned water into beer, and
Anheuser-Busch frequently turns beer into water. Funny how we see
miracles where we need or want to.

Then, of course, we have the 18th-19th century Comte de Saint-Germain,
who, among other peculiar achievements, apparently spoke every known
language, did not age noticably, and had a party trick of borrowing gems
and increasing their mass for the lucky donors. His miracles were
attributed to witchcraft, and what was worse, it was reputed that he
might even have been the legendary Wandering Jew. I think it's an
interesting touch to this story that it somehow seems to imply that
Judaism is less socially acceptable than witchcraft.

Personally, I revere le Comte as a great con man, and the rest is
unimportant, even if true.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy