SC - Platina lunch (15th c Italian, too)

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at tci.com
Sun Mar 19 06:36:33 PST 2000

Having attended her classes at CooksCon, I think Dr. Milham's translation is
as good as one of these things can be. I have two translations, and Milham's
is by far the better of the two. I was impressed by her description of the
research process (traveling all over Europe looking at multiple
manuscripts), and by her knowledge of the political environment and the
source of Platina's recipes.

Not having compared the hardback and paperback copies, I cannot tell you
what the differences are. I have the paperback, which I find to be very
useful and entertaining to read. This is more than a cookbook - it includes
a lot of historical information about Platina's social circles, political
situations, and the habits of eating in Renaissance Italy.

Maredudd