SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2021

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 08:01:42 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/18/00 4:13:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

>     C Anne Wilson's Book of Marmalade - all sweets?>
This is a history of marmalade, with discussions about how it evolved, up to
current-day practices and manufacturing.  Includes period & modern recipes.
Second edition I think - just out. $16.95

>  >    Of Breeds & Butchers (as seen at Food Conference in CO) >

Basically a discussion about (as it says) period & historic animal breeds.  Lo
ts of statistics. British import, oversize paperback. $35

>  >    Of Fooles & Fricassees (catalog of Folger exhibit)

>  Any recipes?
This one includes not only the catalog entries (with lots of illos) but also
the text of a previously unpublished manuscript of Sara Longe's recipe book
(c.1610). Ms is 48 pages, each with 1 to 3 recipes. $26.95

>  >    Hannah Glasse's Art of Cookery Made Plain & Simple
>  Sounds familiar, but Isn't she post-1600?
Yes. The publisher's catalog says "American's most popular cookbook in 1776.
...Includes a new introduction by food historican Karen Hess."

>  >    Perry's Medieval Arabic Food (possibly scheduled for summer)
>  Is this similar to his work in Cariadoc's volumes?
Again, the publisher speaks: "Papers by Maxime Rodinson & Charles Perry, with
a reprint of 'A Baghdad Cookery Book' by the Late Professor A.J. Arberry, and
a foreword by Claudia Roden." Arberry's translation apparently dates from
1939, when it appeared in the periodical Islamic Culture.  Alas, this book
has been looked for since it was announced last spring; the distributor is
hopeful that it will actually be availabe in the summer.

Yours in service,
Devra the Baker
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com