SC - Re: Lemon Liqueurs

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Mar 19 08:49:07 PST 2000

- ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01BF9199.21E2D1C0

"Classic Liqueurs" lists a version of the Italian lemon liqueur Dopio =
Cedro which sounds very much like the recipe you provided.  Perhaps =
Dopio Cedro's lineage is older but the book provides no history.

"The Penguin Book of Spirits and Liqueurs" lists both a Corsica and a =
Greek lemon liqueur described as follows:

"In Corsica a type of digestive liqueur known as Cedratine is made from =
the sweet lemon, and Kitron, a distillate of brandy with lemon leaves is =
a Greek citrus liqueur."

No history provided for either of these either although the book does =
have the history of other liqueurs and I will check on the periodicity =
of any included.

"Larousse Gastronomique" lists a Lemon liqueur or ratafia, Ratafia de =
Citron which is made with the peel and juice of lemons, in the same way =
as Orange liqueur.  It provides no history either.

Regards liqueurs in general, Younger in his "Gods Men and Wine" states =
that "Liqueurs - sweetened, aromaticized alcohol - spread in the 14th =
century from Italy to France but their popularity was never comparable =
with that of brandy, and the great days of liqueurs, as we understand =
them, was not to arrive for another four hundred years."=20

"The Penguin Book of Spirits and Liqueurs" that Catherine de Medici when =
she went to France to marry Henri II introduced liqueurs to France.

As this thread has piqued my interest I will check further on the =
history of liqueurs perhaps it is an appropriate subject for an article =
for TI.

Daniel Raoul

- ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01BF9199.21E2D1C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>"Classic Liqueurs" lists a =
version of=20
the Italian lemon liqueur Dopio Cedro which sounds very much like the =
recipe you=20
provided.  Perhaps Dopio Cedro's lineage is older but the book =
provides no=20
history.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"The Penguin Book of Spirits and Liqueurs" =
lists=20
both a Corsica and a Greek lemon liqueur described as =
follows:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"In Corsica a type of digestive liqueur known =
as=20
Cedratine is made from the sweet lemon, and Kitron, a distillate of =
brandy with=20
lemon leaves is a Greek citrus liqueur."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>No history provided for either of =
these either=20
although the book does have the history of other liqueurs and I will =
check on=20
the periodicity of any included.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"Larousse Gastronomique" lists a Lemon =
liqueur or=20
ratafia, Ratafia de Citron which is made with the peel and juice of =
lemons, in=20
the same way as Orange liqueur.  It provides no history=20
either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards liqueurs in general, Younger in his =
"Gods Men and=20
Wine" states that "Liqueurs - sweetened, aromaticized alcohol =
- - spread=20
in the 14th century from Italy to France but their popularity was never=20
comparable with that of brandy, and the great days of liqueurs, as we =
understand=20
them, was not to arrive for another four hundred =
years." </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>"The Penguin Book of Spirits and =

Liqueurs" that Catherine de Medici when she went to France to marry =
Henri=20
II introduced liqueurs to France.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As this thread has piqued my interest I will check =
further on=20
the history of liqueurs perhaps it is an appropriate subject for an =
article for=20
TI.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Daniel Raoul</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01BF9199.21E2D1C0--