SC - Getting the general populace to eat "period dishes"

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Mar 20 07:19:05 PST 2000

I think that the folks in Atlantia "expect" that their feasts will be period.
Most of us who cook do period dishes and when we teach our craft to others, we
pass this on.  I know that a lot of folks balk at the concept of a "period" dish,
but I find that most of these are people outside the SCA.  Usually, when a feast
is being cooked, it smells so wonderful that people will give it a try.

A couple of years ago, I served a beet pie at a late-period feast.  I had told
several folks who vowed a serious hatred of beets that this one was very good and
I thought that they would enjoy it.  I was told later that, because I had
suggested that they try it, they had and had loved it!

I still believe that if period food is presented in a manner that does not insult
the intelligence of those eating, if the meal is well-balanced and the service is
attractive (i.e., no "nekkid" food), most people will give it a try.

Kiri