SC - Period recipes/Adapting recipes Was: Lady Seaton's Project

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Mar 20 16:03:15 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/20/2000 1:23:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< You forgot the perfect place, which has been done here
 in Caid from time to time, which is list the
 ingredients in an article in your kingdom's newsletter
 which will at least be read by all those who have an
 SCA membership.  This way the reader will be able to
 decide whether there will be enough for them to eat
 BEFORE they send in their money. >>

We are having sufficient trouble keeping the EK newsletter to manageable
proportions that we are strongly advising against even publishing the entire
menu (or any menu, or rules for contests, or similar items that are not
necessarily of interest to every person reading the announcement), much less
the entire list of ingredients.  If someone is that concerned about what they
can eat, they need to contact the head cook, whose name and phone number, and
often e-mail info, are nearly always included in the announcement, along with
a statement that anyone with dietary concerns should contact said person.
The last event I cooked for, I had two people out of 100 contact me.  One had
a saffron allergy, the other a variety of allergies but especially to wheat;
both were able to eat all but a few dishes without me needing to make any
alterations, because I'd already chosen a large variety of recipes.  Only one
dish contained saffron, and by serving the meat sauces on the side, the
gentle with the wheat allergy was able to eat both meats and several
vegetable dishes.

Brangwayna Morgan