SC - Camp baking

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 20 20:52:51 PST 2000

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a Coleman oven as an accessory to my stove.
> Has anyone used this?  Does it do a decent job, especially on bread?
>
> (Yes, I know that one can bake in a firepit with a Dutch oven, etc., but
> that doesn't really work for me.)

I have an on-top-of-stove oven, though it is not Coleman brand. I love
it. Mine has a thermometer built into it so I can keep an eye on teh
temp. It requires a fair amount of babysitting to maintain even temp,
but I do alot of pies and tarts in camp and it is quite useful for that.
The only problem I have (I think because it is a thin sheet-metal box
sat over the burner) is that the edges/crusts etc. tend to burn before
the insides are completely done. And as it takes up a burner, it reduces
my burner availability for other things and I have to schedule more
carefully. But I like being able to have cinnamon rolls in the morning.
My neighbors hate me for it, but hey...

'Lainie