SC - Camp baking

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 16:17:27 PST 2000

 Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> > I'm thinking of getting a Coleman oven as an
> accessory to my stove.
> > Has anyone used this?  Does it do a decent job,
> especially on bread?
> >
> > (Yes, I know that one can bake in a firepit with a
> Dutch oven, etc., but
> > that doesn't really work for me.)

I have a Coleman oven that I recently bought from a
church white elephant sale.  It cost me $5.  All that
I have done with it has been to turn is on to see if
it worked.  I haven't baked with it yet.  But it
appears to me to be more like the broiler in a
conventional oven.  The flame comes from the top.  Not
below.  It also has a "burner" on the top, which you
can use to heat stuff in pots, because it uses the
escaping heat from the oven.  I now have to buy a full
propane bottle to find out how long one bottle will
last, and then I will try to bake something in it.

Huette