SC - dutch ovens

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 22 23:35:55 PST 2000

Seumas commented:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Is this an iron or alluminum dutch oven?
>
> Somebody makes _aluminum_ dutch ovens????
>
> Eeeewwww....I gotta go take a bath. My skin crawls....:)

Sure they do. That is all my Boy Scout troop was equipted with. While
I wouldn't want to backpack either one, the alluminum ones were much
easier to handle in camp. They also require less upkeep. I still
remember carrying one of the iron ones over a mountain ridge and
back in New Mexico (Philmont Scout Camp).

The alluminum ones are of heavy cast alluminum, not pressed sheet.
They cook fairly close to the iron ones. In either case, you do need
to remember when baking biscuits and such to leave an air gap between
the bottom and the biscuits. We didn't. Took a cold chisel and a hammer
to get the last burned chunks out. :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net