SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2042

Phil Anderson phil at spis.co.nz
Thu Mar 23 14:44:29 PST 2000

Ulfr writes:

> As long as they are in generally known units you can at least work with
> them.

Except that US measures are subtly different to Imperial ones, which
does occasionally matter.

>Half a stick of butter, one cake of yeast, half an envelope of
> saffron, etc, are much more challenging to work with for the outsider.
>
> Perhaps I should set up a webpage with this kind of info [...]

That would definitely be useful. The mediaeval recipe books I have
don't tend to use such measures, but mundane recipes often do.
Saffron comes in envelopes in some parts of the world?

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid