SC - Mushrooms

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Thu Mar 23 15:30:16 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25151970

I have a feeling that once the mushroom has opened the spoors are released and thus the answer to your question is no - you can't grow mushrooms from store bought ones (I am perfectly willing to stand corrected on this one).

In terms of the mushroom growing kits, they are not neccessary.  For years my mother would buy mushroom compost from a local nursery, put it into garbage (I think) bags on the breakfast deck (well, that is what she called it and she built the house so she should know!) under black polythene sheets.  We had mushrooms all year around - but the wooden deck did become stained.

Mushroom compost, she explained to me, is the growing medium used by commercial mushroom growers and they only take the first harvest because it has the most mushrooms.  They then sell the compost to nurseries.  If anyone is interested in this further, I would be happy to ask her if there were any tricks to growing mushrooms this way.  (if we didn't have cats and ducks I would be tempted to have a go at it myself!)

Gwynydd of Culloden (West Kingdom)

At 2000-03-24 04:56:30.656001,
"Bethany Public Library" (betpulib at ptdprolog.net) wrote:
> I'd like to try this. Can one get sufficient spores from
> store-bought
> 'shrooms to start one' sown mushroom factory, or do we have to go
> to the
> expense of getting one of those kits?
>
> Enquiring minds with dark basements need to know!
>
> Aoife
>

> Jehann penned;
> I have to disagree with this. I cook mushrooms on a weekly basis,
> and have
> never had any problems with button mushrooms soaking up liquid
> when they
> were washed. Call me lazy, but if I'm cleaning several pounds of
> mushrooms,
> I'm not going to wipe them one by one with a cloth.
>
> IIRC, Gourmet magazine also did a study on this by weighing out a
> pound of
> mushrooms and a pound of broccoli. They then washed them both, and
> reweighed them. The mushrooms had gained the same amount of weight
> as the
> broccoli, a ounce or two, most likely due to not being dried off.
> No one
> accuses broccoli of soaking up water when washed!
>
> On the other hand, I've never had to wash my shitake mushrooms as
> I grow
> them myself and they are spotless when they come off the log, so I
> have no
> idea how mushrooms other than buttons take to being washed.
>
> Yours in Service,
>
> Jehanne
>
> p.s. Anyone in florida know if we can grow morels down here? I'm
> tempted to
> start a patch...

> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25151970--