SC - mushrooms

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 23 20:35:59 PST 2000

Jehanne said:
> On the other hand, I've never had to wash my shitake mushrooms as I grow
> them myself and they are spotless when they come off the log, so I have no
> idea how mushrooms other than buttons take to being washed.

You grow your own mushrooms? I have toured a commercial mushroom factory
in Pennsylvania so I have an idea of how they do it but I've never
heard of someone growing their own. I'd love to hear more details
on how you do it and any experiences you've had. Do you buy spores?
seedlings? from a nursery? Or can you just plant some mushrooms from
the grocery? Do you grow these inside a building in the dark?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net