SC - More than you probably want to know about corn bread

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Mar 25 19:34:52 PST 2000

And then there are all the variations: cornbread with *stuff* in it.  Kernels
of corn, cheese, vegetables or fruit.  I have a bunch of community
cookbooks that are full of these... ummm... creative improvisations.
Some have ethnic attributions, like "Mexican" cornbread with chili
peppers in it, or "Swiss" cornbread with Swiss cheese.  Sometimes I
can see where the name comes from, and sometimes I cannot fathom
it.  Is there something particularly "Greek" about cottage cheese and
broccoli?  And how did something with crumbled bacon ever get dubbed
"Jewish cornbread"??

Inquiring minds are *afraid* to know.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)