SC - Re: redaction article

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 27 07:23:20 PST 2000

This message was Bounced because she kept the article attached. Please
be careful of this.

Gunthar

   Dearest Gwynydd ,

>As some posters have commented, I specifically said that I was not
comfortable redacting my own recipes - just yet.<
    ( I haven't  joined in on the Cooks' List debate,  I sometimes think
Ras
is just a schmuck  -- too arrogant for his own good.   However, he
*does*
possess a very knowledgable brain to pick.   I know him only from his
posts,
as he lives 3,000 miles away from Artemisia.)

 If you have taught yourself from books,  obtaining  Cindy Renfroths'
"1000
eggs" would be easy enough for you.  Also as food for thought,  I have
added
my almost finished article for the Artemisan A&S newsletter, the Maple.
hope it encourages you.

    There is  LOTS of text on line,  esp the Flori-thingy of Stephan's,
and
the various other websites for  <medieval> cookbooks.  So, as long as
you
can download, there is oodles and oodles of recipes to try.   When I
first
started this list,  I had a very bare cook book collection, and I
quickly
filled a good sized 3 ring binder from recipes on this list.  Original
text
& redactions.

    Welcome!  Have fun!

Caointiarn
Artemisia

I want a book from which I can cook as soon as I have done the
shopping.  I
want to be fairly sure that if I follow the recipe I will end up with
something at least mostly edible.  I do not feel that I can "read the
language" of a period cookbook just yet; I simply do not have the
knowlege-base.  Although I am a fairly good cook, I am entirely
self-taught
in this area (out of cookbooks).  I now have enough knowlege and
experience
to look at a non-period recipe and say "yes" or "no", and to know what
needs
to be changed to get it right next time if it was less than successful.
do not have that knowlege or experience with period cooking.

>Perhaps I would feel differently if I attended one of the cooking
classes
held by some of the gentles on this list, but I do not have that
luxury.  I
am cooking at home in my own kitchen and I am not able to afford the
expense
(either in ingredients or time) of "trial and error" cooking -
particularly
when there is no-one right here (as I rather assume there is in a
cooking
class) to tell me what I did wrong or right and why it was so.

>Thank you all again for the suggestions of useful cookbooks - and I
must
say that I am finding the debate fascinating!