SC - More than you probably want to know about corn bread

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 27 10:15:10 PST 2000

Here's what used to be my favorite corn bread recipe. I haven't
cooked it in a long time and might feel different about it now, but...

>From _The Tassajara Bread Book_ by Edward Espe Brown, 1970, p. 107:

- ----- quote recipe -----

Three Layer Corn Bread

Discovered quite by accident; one batter make three layers. The corn
meal settles. The bran rises. In the middle an eggy-custardy layer.
Easy! Glorious! Amazing!

(One 9" x 9" pan serves 4-6)

1 c corn meal [this assumes yellow]
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c unbleached white flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 egg
1/4-1/2 c honey or molasses
1/4 c oil
3 c milk

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Mix together.
Mixture will be quite watery. Pour into greased pan. Bake 30 minutes
at 325° [degrees Farenheit] or until top is springy when gently
touched.

- ----- end quote recipe -----

BTW, t = teaspoon, c = cup. And yes, it really only works well if you
use both kinds of flour. I think i used to use both honey and
molasses,

Anahita al-shazhiyya