SC - Asparagus anyone??

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Mar 27 15:39:08 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 27 Mar 00,, that Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe...or at least references...to/for asparagus in
> the late Tudor/Elizabethan period.  I'm getting ready to cook a feast
> based in that period, and would love to serve asparagus.

If Spanish of that period will suit, here's what Granado (1599) says:

PARA HAZER ESCUDILLA DE ESPARRAGOS SILVESTRES Y
DOMESTICOS -- To make a dish of wild or cultivated asparagus

Take the most tender part, cause it to boil in hot water until they seem
tender, and finish cooking them with good broth of capon or of veal: and
these want to be served with a little broth.  With the wild ones you can
put raisins.  The cultivated ones can be served with orange juice, sugar,
and salt.

note: orange juice would refer to the juice of sour oranges.  In _The
Medieval Kitchen_, it is suggested that one can substitute the juice of
two oranges mixed with the juice of a lemon.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net