SC - Platina meat roll w/questions

Terri Spencer taracook at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 17:42:11 PST 2000

As Mistress Christianna has previously posted, she has a great deal of
cooked ground beef, and is giving large packages to anyone standing
still long eno...willing to cook it in a period fashion for this weeks
Baronial meeting/party.

I've been looking for a preparation that can redeem this cool, dry
ingredient that was grilled instead of boiled and treated with warming
spices as a medieval cook would have done. I'm also looking for finger
food for practical purposes.  I think I've found a good candidate in
Platina Book VI, #9:

Meat Roll from Tame Animals

...take as much lean meat as you want (calf, capon, hen or the like)
and cut it up fine with small knives.  Mix veal fat into this meat well
with spices.  When it has been wrapped in thin crusts, bake in an oven.
 When they are almost cooked, put on the roll two egg yolks...beaten
with a paddle with a little verjiuce and very rich juice.  Some add a
bit of saffron for looks...

I can spice the meat with ginger, cinnamon & pepper, and add a bit of
fat, egg and verjuice to combat the previous dry cooking (and bind it).
 But I have a few questions:

Would the thin crusts be pie crust? Pastry? Phyllo dough? Do we know?

What is "very rich juice" (put on the crust w/eggs and verjuice)?

Am I right in thinking of this as a spiral roll that could be sliced
into rounds for serving (vs. meat pie or meat surrounded by crust)?  Am
I wrong?  Is there one true way?

Many thanks,

Tara