SC - Asparagus anyone??

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 27 23:12:17 PST 2000

Kiri asked"
> I have a question I'd like to pose to you all:  I am looking for a
> recipe...or at least references...to/for asparagus in the late
> Tudor/Elizabethan period.  I'm getting ready to cook a feast based in
> that period, and would love to serve asparagus.

You might take a look at this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of
my Florilegium. I think a lot of the recipes will be too early for
you, but some I'm unsure of the date for.
asparagus-msg      (7K)  3/ 1/00    Period asparagus and asparagus recipes.

I see recipes from Platina, Miscellany (Andalusian Spain), The Original
Mediterranean Cuisine, Kenelm Digby (mid-17th c. English) Savory toasted cheese
recipe, Apicius (definitely too early :-) ).
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net