SC - OOP - Resturant Talk

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 14:54:00 PST 2000

Went hunting their website since you asked.  Here is what I found:  (Oh, yes.
 The "reason" I do not like them is it "seems" to me that "something" is
holding that ground beef together... something "like" mushroom soup or
similar.  AND I dislike the "canned cream of mushroom soup" taste in foods.
Any food, casserole, etc. )  And notice the date it was organized - 1926.
Right between White Castle's - 1921 and Krystal's - 1932.

Rayne

Taylor's Maid-Rite is 70 Years Old!
Written By Don Taylor Short, great grandson of the founder.

In 1926, the Maid-Rite sandwich was born! The concept was started in
Muscatine, Iowa by Floyd Angell. Floyd began to franchise his idea, selling
the rights to Newton, Iowa in 1927 and Marshalltown, Iowa in 1928.

The 1928 franchise was purchased by my great grandfather Clifford Taylor for
the sum of $300. Clifford and his family operated Taylor's Maid-Rite
Hamburger Shop; baking pies at home, slicing whole pickles from Marshall
Vinegar Works and buns from Strand's Bakery until his death in 1944.

After Clifford's death, his son and my grandfather Don Taylor took over
operations at Taylor's Maid-Rite. Don continued to run the Maid-Rite in the
same fashion, even building a cooler in his basement to grind fresh hamburger
daily!

In 1958, Don Taylor built a "state of the art" building across the street
from the original location. The new Maid-Rite was high tech for the time; all
equipment was stainless steel, the counters were up on legs for better
cleaning, and they even had TWO cash registers!

Don Taylor continued to operate a successful, popular, and efficient business
until his death in 1973. When Don died, his wife Polly ran the Maid-Rite. She
was assisted by many long time employees that helped her continue with the
day to day operations.

In 1985, Polly asked me to come to Iowa and help her operate Taylor's
Maid-Rite. I worked with Polly and the fine staff until her death in 1994.
Taylor's Maid-Rite is still family owned and I currently manage the business
for my family.

We haven't changed very much in the last 70 years. We still grind 100% prime
beef from Iowa. We grind our meat fresh every day to ensure its quality and
freshness. We make our ice cream from our original recipe and continue to
offer our home-made pies.

The big change at Taylor's Maid-Rite is that we ship frozen Maid-Rites
anywhere in the USA.   A Taylor's Maid-Rite is a loose meat sandwich made of
finely ground hamburger. The hamburger is cooked and put in a bun, then
served with mustard, pickles or chopped onions. Maid-Rite restaurants are
franchises located mainly in Iowa and the midwest. But now, thanks to
Taylor's Maid-Rite in Marshalltown, you can enjoy the great taste of a
midwest tradition without leaving your home.

In a message dated 3/28/00 1:18:50 PM Central Standard Time,