SC - saffron

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 19:43:24 PST 2000

Saffron is one of the world's most expensive spices (although I would
classify it as an herb more readily than a spice).  You can expect to pay an
exorbitant rate for even the lowest quality saffron, and $15.00 an ounce is
not unheard of for the good stuff.  The fortunate thing about saffron is that
a little goes a loooong way.  To flavor and/or color a good sized dish (say
4-5 quarts) you only need about 5 stamen.  A 2g cannister will probably net
you about 10 pots of the size listed above.

I, personally, however...do not like saffron.

Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.