SC - saffron

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Mar 29 00:12:21 PST 2000

Angeline asked:
> I am in need of saffron for a feast and I am planning to order it online
> in bulk.
>
> Does anyone know what is a 'reasonable price' and how far does 2 g  go?  I
> saw one place that has 2 g for $5.95 or 4 g. for $7.95.

One of the main things to be aware of is to make sure you are actually
getting saffron and not an imitation. Even if it is saffron, saffron
can come in a variety of grades and qualities.

You might want to take a look at these files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section of my Florilegium for some more details:
saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by
Tony Hill.
saffron-msg       (53K) 12/21/99    Types of saffron. period uses.

Some of the mentions and reviews in this file might also help you
select a good vender:
merch-spices-msg  (30K)  8/ 3/99    Spice merchants. Reviews and recommendations
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net