Fermented ham? Was, Re: SC - don't cringe too bad....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 29 06:06:13 PST 2000

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I was assuming that whoever brought up the subject of ham knew that it didn't
> get fermented in the strictest sense.  Depending on where you are, it gets hit
> with either a sugar-based or salt-based "cure" then smoked.  I grew up with the
> salt-based...my uncles and grandfather all used this method.  Once the smoking
> process is complete, the hams/bacon/sausage are hung in a cool dry place until
> needed.
>
> Kiri

That would be me. I mentioned it in connection with allegedly fermented
fish sauces, and asked why we always use the term in connection with
fish sauces, where it is generally inaccurate, and never in connection
with ham, where it frequently _is_ accurate, particularly in brined hams
and prosciutto. A sugar-based dry rub is designed to make the product
more tender than pure salt rubs, but sugar-cures still contain nearly as
much salt as salt cures.

Perhaps I should say that while processors of real old-fashioned cured
hams (rather than the injected stuff) don't intentionally ferment their
hams, they also cannot keep it from happening to some extent, and it
would not be especially desirable if they could, and did.

The smoking of ham is primarily designed to keep out insects (creosote
and other tars repel flies and such, as does pepper in the cure) but the
salt is intended to draw off excess water and kill or prevent the
breeding of pathogenic bacteria. It does not, however, eliminate _all_
bacteria and molds, and, well, as the ham ages, it gets kinda tangy,
doesn't it?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy