SC - Junket

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Thu Mar 30 10:39:09 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25934460

Thanks for this advice - I was thinking about adding a couple more tablets (yes, BTW, I do know that junket tablets are rennet) - there are still 2 vanilla ones left (after that I have raspberry, cherry, fruit salad - not good choices in my book!  Not even for a mundane desert - and I used to love junket (haven't had it for years).  My only remaining question is "is the long-life milk in the mix impeding the setting - and if it is, am I wasting my time trying this?"

I am actually using the recipe in "Pleyn Delit" (Thanks to the enormous generosity of a person on this very List, I now actually have my own copy!) for Junket with Blueberries.  She does say that it may well have been a cheese-type recipe, so I might actually go that extra mile and make the cheese.  BTW, do I need cheesecloth or will a cotton flour bag do?  (I have my doubts about this - it is fairly thick cotton).

Gwynydd

At 2000-03-31 04:01:32.718001,
"Bethany Public Library" (betpulib at ptdprolog.net) wrote:
> Good God, woman, you've got the beginings of cheese. You could
> just rewarm
> it, hope for the best. Or, add more rennet (junket brand dessert
> IS rennet,
> btw, just very weak). Keep it warm, add more rennet dissolved in
> warm water
> and wait for it to set up (add a little yoghurt or sour cream or
> buttermilk
> to hasten the process). When it sets up, either eat it as sturdy
> junket, or
> mash it up a bit, drain it through cheesecloth like yoghurt
> cheese, and
> serve it to your extremely lucky family with the garnish of
> choice. Think of
> it on plain bagels with strawberries. Or fresh bread. Or spooned
> straight
> from the bowl, with a dab of raspberry jam. Yummmmmm. When's
> dinner?
>
> Aoife

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25934460--