SC - Re: Garlic methods - OOP(?)

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 15:03:30 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/30/00 9:35:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< This may be a translator's issue, but I'm not aware of a single usage of
 garlic in Apicius De Re Coquinaria. At least not that I can think of
 offhand before my tea is ready... >>

Actually, Apicius' Sala cattabia is full of garlic, and is believed to be
related to the Moretaria recipes including those of Virgil and I believe
Cato.

Moretaria of Apicius F&R, pg 61

Mint, rue, coriander, fennel, all fresh, lovage, pepper, honey, liquamen. If
needed add vinegar

Here are the Sala cattabia recipes from Flower and Rosenbaum

Sala cattabia
Hollow out an Alexandrine loaf , soak in water mixed with vinegar. Put in the
mortar pepper, honey, mint, garlic, fresh coriander, salted cow’s milk
cheese, water and oil,  cool in snow and serve.

Moretaria
Modern version
1 250 gm package cream cheese
1 large clove garlic minced
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Combine the ingredients and let cool 1 hour. Let soften before serving

A Redacted Recipe
Sala cattabia
Original Recipe
This recipe is found in Book IV -Many Ingredients, of our main work. It is
included with recipes for  patinas ( mostly egg dishes) , fish dishes,  fried
dishes of various sorts, stews to be served with the first course(Gustum
versatile)
The original recipe I am redacting from uses the same method outlined in the
Sala cattabia recipe from Apicius noted below. In it, it directs you to

 “Have Ready some pieces of bread soaked in water mixed with vinegar. Squeeze
out the moisture, and arrange in a mould, followed by layers of cow’s milk
cheese, cucumbers, alternating with pine-kernels. Add  finely chopped capers
alternating with chicken liver”

The second sala cattabia recipe uses layers of various meats including
chicken and goat’s sweatbread.   The meat can be omitted where a vegetarian
version is desired. This version omits  any meat, however, a boiled chicken
breast meat is an excellent choice. (I; have tried it with and without, and
enjoy both)

Sala cattabia
1 round loaf of sour dough  bread hollowed out. Cut the center in cubes  and
soak in 1cup water  with 1 Tblsp good red wine vinegar of your choice and
1tsp ground cumin. Flower & Rosenbaum point out that Alexandrine bread is
thought to contain cumin.   I  was advised to taste the vinegar alone to
determine if  it tastes fine, if so use it.  I chose Tosca brand, which can
be easily found in Canada.
Mix the soaking bread  well and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze out the
excess moisture  by pressing it in a seive and set aside.
Mash in a mortar or put in food processor and blend;
1tsp white pepper ground

1 Tblsp honey
1 tsp fre sh mint chopped or ½ tsp dried 1 Tblsp fresh coriander  or 1 tsp
dried
1 med clove of garlic, chopped
.5 lbs ricotta (you may wish to increase this ingredient to fill out your
mold)
 ½ thinly  sliced cucumber (if done in a food processor and very finely, do
not peel)
1-  125 ml jar  of capers
2-3 ounces chopped pine nuts
Dressing: 1 Tblsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, ½ tsp salt.
The next step will vary depending on how large your mold is. Divide the
soaked bread into 3 portions, the cheese and capers,  into 2 .* Using a
mold(you may want to rub a small amount of olive oil into the mold  if you
are concerned about the food sticking to the sides, I used less than a tsp)
place a layer of cucumbers  on the bottom (top when righted) in a pattern if
possible, then place a layer of bread pressing down firmly. Next place a
layer of overlapping cucumber  slices.  Spoon in ½ of the cheese mixture and
spread over  the cucumbers. Sprinkle on ½ of the  chopped pine nuts and 2-3
tsp chopped capers. Repeat.
Finish with a final layer  of  bread.
.
Place a  plate on  top of the mold. Put  the two  in the refridgerator for at
least 2-3 hours to ensure that the mold sets.  Turn the molded dish  onto a
serving platter and surround with sliced pieces of the outer part of the loaf
of bread. Pour over the dish the prepared dressing.  Garnish with some fresh
mint or parsley in the center and serve chilled. Serves 6-8 as main dish or
10- 12 as an appetizer  in a large feast.
*Note; in practice, I used 2 - 1 ½ lb molds. Each allowed 2 layers of bread
and cucumber and 1 layer of cheese, pine nuts and capers. Had I used a 2-3 lb
mold my resulting dish would have simply been larger, and appeared more
varied.
I have also used a fish mold and placed the cucumbers to appear as scales and
capers for eyes, it was a hit.  The decision at this point is up to the cook.
Enjoy the labours!!

Hauviette