SC - fermented meats

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 17:25:22 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/29/00 8:43:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< I was assuming that whoever brought up the subject of ham knew that it
didn't
 get fermented in the strictest sense.  >>

There is also the process of the 'pork' barrel which I grew up with in which
the fresh hams are immersed in a brine solution and stored in a cool place.
The pieces are fished out of the liquid and used as needed. By the odor it
gives off, I would say some sort of fermentation is taking place. This is the
origin of the phrases 'bottom of the barrel' and 'pork barrel projects.

Ras