SC - Re: Garlic methods - OOP(?)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 30 20:40:03 PST 2000

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, Apicius' Sala cattabia is full of garlic, and is believed to be
> related to the Moretaria recipes including those of Virgil and I believe
> Cato.

Um, the truth is, the third in a series of three sala cattabia recipes
given in De Re Coquinaria contains an unspecified amount of garlic. Or
did you mean "full of" as in, "the stuffing contains..."?

> Moretaria of Apicius F&R, pg 61
>
> Mint, rue, coriander, fennel, all fresh, lovage, pepper, honey, liquamen. If
> needed add vinegar

I gather that Virgil's description of moretum in verse does mention
garlic. I had mentioned that there were more Roman recipes outside of
Apicius that call for it; this was one I had in mind. Does the Apician
version, if any (I can't find it in the index and probably have a
different edition, but there's nothing like this on my page 61) contain
garlic? The only references to garlic in the index in my edition of F&R
are as ingredients in sala cattabia and in a faux salt fish recipe. Any
more info available?

No moretum or moretaria recipe in Cato, BTW. After an exasperating time
with Dalby's index, I just scanned the whole text. Not Dalby's fault, of
course, if it simply isn't there...  Perhaps you're thinking of Columella?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com