SC - Chocolate

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Mar 30 19:43:38 PST 2000

>     Here's a couple of paragraphs of the treatise:
>
> "The Receipt of him who wrote at Marchena, is this: Of
> Cacaos, 700, of white Sugar, one pound and a halfe, Cinnamon,
> 2. ounces; of long red pepper, 14, of Cloves, halfe an ounce: Three
> Cods of the Logwood or Campeche tree; or in steade of that, the
> weight of 2 Reals, or a shilling of Anniseeds; as much of Agiote, as
> will give it the colour, which is about the quantity of a
> Hasellnut. Some put in Almons, kernells of Nuts, and
> Orenge-flower-water.
>
> Concerning this Receipt I shall first say, This shooe will not fit
> every foote; but for those, who have diseases, or are inclining to
> be infirme, you may either adde, or take away, according to the
> necessity,
> and temperature of every one: and I hold it not amisse, that Sugar
> be put into it, when it is drunke, so that it be according to the
> quantity I shall hereafter set downe. And sometimes they make
> Tablets of the Sugar, and the Chocolate together: which they doe
> onely to please the Pallats, as the Dames of Mexico do use it; and
> they are there sold in shops, and are confected and eaten like other
> sweet-meats."

	Hm, yes, this is the same source I've seen before.  And no, I never have
tasted logwood, or Campeche tree either, for that matter.  What do they
taste like?  Any idea of the medicinal value of them? And what, pray
tell, is an Agiote?  (Not the Chaote we were talking about a couple of
weeks ago?)
I would love to try the sweet-meats, am I reading it right that it would
be spiced in the same way, but sweetened with sugar and molded?
	Christianna