SC - Garlic methods - OOP(?)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 31 03:58:27 PST 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Somewhere I read (how's _that_ for documentation? but I do seem to
> remember it being from a credible source) that those fighting the Roman
> Army could smell them coming over the hill, and basically called them
> 'Garlic Breath'.
<snip>

and now me...
> > Now, there are other Roman recipes which do call for garlic, but
> > Apicius isn't an example of the wildly profligate use of garlic by the
> > Romans...
<snip>
> > I've read that
> > gladiators used to eat raw garlic in quantity,

Boy, the Crassus-vs.-Spartacus conflict must have been a stinky
business. On the other hand, it is believed to have been a turnip or a
large radish, traditionally of the long and vaguely obscene variety,
that Julius Caesar alternately munched and used for obscene gestures in
a pre-battle speech. Somewhere in Livy, I think.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com