SC - Period Ingredients Master List

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Mar 31 09:37:30 PST 2000

> My feeling is thus:  If it existed, and was used for cooking during the time
> of our "period", then it is period.

This is too simplistic a view, IMHO.
HOW these ingredients are used makes all the difference here.
Onions, Beef, Bread and Cheese are all period ingredients, but I would not
call a Phillie Hoagie a period recipe.
This is why simply listing period ingredients may be misleading, because
without the context of period recipes, the list is not a meaningful way to
decide whether a recipe is period, or to create new recipes that have a
period "feel".
A person new to period cooking may see the ingredients that go into his
favorite "Hula Hot-dish" listed there, go "COOL, it's period!!" and serve
Hula Hotdish as a "period" feast item.
Without context the list is just data. With context, the list is information.
that is my point

brandu