SC - RE:Highness, Lownesses and Period Cooking

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 1 05:39:03 PST 2000

Lance challenges:
>>If you are so personally offended I ask that you call her.  Her phone
number can easily be found in the talewinds.  She does screen her calls
so leave her a message and she'll be glad to address your questions
personally.  As for the "(her Hiney)" bit, I will not hear this
disrespect for the Crown or Coronet.  You will rescend that comment and
make no further insults in that manner to the Crown or Coronet.  I
rightfully do not know who you are, but I, who for the purpose of this
letter stand with no references to the offices I hold, challenge you.
You will either appologise to her Highness for the lack of respect or I
will see you on whatever field you choose.  I will get authorized for
the sole purpose of settling this, be it heavy or light, I will meet
you.  I know not youe experience and care not, for part of the dream for
me is fealty to my house and my Crown, and you have violated them both.

I ask you how you wish to continue.<<

It is a perfectly period and acceptable practice in period
to take potshots, rebukes and outright crude insults at
the royalty and nobility of nations other than your own.
We owe them NO respect or fealty.  That is why we had
wars.  Now I do advocate courtesy in these modern Middle
Ages, but we are talking about a Persona and an Office here.
We are not calling the mundane lady a whore for God's sake.
Your challenge is stupid and reeks of Dream fanaticism.
Stop acting like a young and rowdy buck.  As to your
comment on honoring the position and office of Princess,
WHY?  The qualification is to be the girlfriend of the sword
swinger who happens to have a good day fighting and wins.
Fortunately some prescreening makes the outcome reasonably
ok most of the time.   My respect will stem from the worth and
intelligent actions of the person being considered.  If a person
acts like an ass or ditz when on the throne or at any other
time in the society, I am going to act accordingly and your
misconceptions of chivalry and honour be damned.
This goes for folks in the SCA, peer or peasant, acting the same.
As for chivalric "rules" being in force in the SCA, stated or not,
I am a merchant persona.  I must need be polite to my customers
but chivalrous?  I don't think that is in the job description.

I am sorry that Her Highness has had such a poorly worded and
badly considered an edict come to the attention of the SCA Cooks
List, which is our private communications list and that your
passionate but useless rebukes followed.  A more period
response on your part (rather than challenging the Known World)
is to go to your Leige and let him challenge all the Leige lords
of each person who has offended you or your Princess.  We'll
see how Trimaris fares against the combined armies of the rest
of the SCA kingdoms in a war to settle the matter.  I believe
there is a small event next week at which this matter could be
settled on the field.  Good luck.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"

Ras, you or someone else may forward this to the appropriate
Trimarian lists if you wish. But don't everybody do it.  Once will
be enough.  Remember "It's supposed to be fun."