SC - Period pumpkin recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 1 07:34:40 PST 2000

I've been checking through the Spanish sources, since they seem likely
to contain late-period pumpkin recipes.  the trouble is that the Spanish
word for pumpkin "calabaza" also refers to various gourds and
squashes.  I did find one recipe that looks promising.  It's various ways
of stuffing calabazas.  The first variation calls for scooping out the
insides of the calabaza, and filling it with a mixture that includes ground
veal or pork, bacon, cheese, eggs, raisins, spices,  small chickens, and
stuffed pigeons.  Is there anything in the cucurbita family that's large
enough to accomodate this assortment, other than a pumpkin?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net