SC - RE: digest 1935 - tongue

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:54:42 PST 2000

Sieggy,
Since someone asked for recipes for the tongue dish (and to get on a more
cooking related thread)
This is probably not the dish you judged because 2 of my 3 jusges were
willing to taste it, and many of the populace were willing to sample.  I
received a wonderful comment from a fairly newcomer... she thanked me for
providing her with an opportunity to taste a meat (tongue) she would
otherwise not have had the chance to try, and she liked it.  Another member
of the populace came back for seconds, thirds, and got his lady to taste it
as well - yes, they did take the recipe away with them ;-)

This dish was entered at the past Outlands Kingdom A&S, it placed second to
my entry of 3 Hedgehogs from Maister Hansen.

I chose to prepare the tongue partly to show that it can be made edible, Ein
New Kochbuch has many recipes for meats that a modern mind might shy away
from, but that are really very good.

(My translation and interpretation from the original German)

Beef tongue with apples and onions
19. Setz die Zungen zu in einem Wasser/ vnnd laß sie wol an die statt
sieden/ seuber sie auß/ vnd zeuch die Haut ab/ schel Epffel vnd Zwibel darein/
vnd hack sie klein. Nimm lauter Butter in einen Kessel/ mach sie warm/ vnd
thu die Epffel vnnd Zwibel darein/ schweiß es zimlich/ vnnd nimm ein wenig
Mehl/ gestossen Pfeffer/ geriebnen Saffran/ klein vnd grosse Rosein darein.
Nimm Rindtfleischbru:eh vnd Essig/ so wirdt es fein sa:euwerlich/ Schneidt die
Zungen voneinander/ leg sie auff ein Roßt/ vnd breun sie auff beyden seiten
ab/ thu es in das gescharb/ vnd laß darmit sieden/ so wirdt es gut vnnd wol
geschmack.

19. Put the tongue into a water/ and let it simmer
till done/ clean it out/ and pull the skin off/ peel apple and onion thereto/
and chop them small.  Take clear (lauter = clear) butter in a kettle/ and
make it warm/ and
put the apple and onion therein/ sweat them rather/ and take a little
flour/ crushed pepper/ rubbed saffron/ small and large raisins thereto.
Take beef broth and vinegar/ so it becomes nice and tart/ Cut the
Tongue apart/ lay it on a rack/ and brown it on both sides/
Put that into the mixture/ and let it simmer therewith/ so it becomes good and
Well tasting.

1 whole beef tongue (2 1/2 - 3 lb)
1 large onion
2 bay leaves
1 t peppercorns
1 t salt
water to cover
Rinse the tongue, and cut off any obvious bits of fat and gristle.  Place in
a pot along with the aromatics and simmer for 3-4 hours, until a sharp knife
can be inserted easily.  Pull off the tough skin while the tongue is still
very hot (it will peel off easily now, not at all if you let it cool) then
let the tongue cool.

1 large onion
2 medium apples
2 T butter
1 T flour
1 t freshly ground pepper
pinch of saffron
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup beef broth
Peel the apple and the onion and dice them.  In a Dutch oven or large pan
melt the butter, add the apples and onion, and let them sweat till the onion
is translucent but do not let it brown.  Sprinkle in the flour, pepper and
saffron, stirring to prevent any lumps, and let the flour cook for a few
moments to remove any raw taste. Add the raisins, broth and vinegar. Adjust
your seasonings.

Trim gristle and fat from the tongue, and slice it into 1/4" slices.  Arrange
the slices on a rack and roast for a few minutes to let them brown.  (Because
I do not have an open hearth with cooking grates I did this in a skillet and
it worked well.)  Add your slices into the sauce mixture and let it simmer
together till the sauce has reduced by half.

NOTES  I realize the original says nothing about adding aromatics to the
water to help flavor the tongue. I feel this is because the author assumes
the reader to know enough about basic cooking, so he does not spell this
out.  He also does not list salt in the ingredients, but in some recipes he
cautions the reader not to oversalt - even though salt was not included in
his instructions.