SC - Re: [Trimaris] Highnesses, Lownesses, and Period Cooking. (fwd)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Mar 1 12:27:16 PST 2000

At 8:54 AM -0700 3/1/00, Linda Peterson wrote:

>   ** The clue phone bit was a bit lame, but again you missed the point. No
>one said that there weren't period dishes and whole feasts that tasted good.
>What it was was a request that the food taste good, whether period or not.
>**

It is possible that that is what Her Highness meant, but it is quite
certainly not what she said, as you can easily check by reading one
of the many copies of her original statement that have appeared in
this thread.

>  **Okay then, instead of calling names and such, why not offer some good
>period recipes already redacted and such, so that even a poor cook such as
>myself can follow them. Or come down here and teach a cooking class, or
>submit your recipe/tips to our Kingdom newsletter, etc. **

I can't speak for the poster you were responding to, but you can find
several hundred worked out period recipes, by myself and my lady
wife, online. Or you can buy them; the hardcopy _Miscellany_ is
several editions past the webbed one at the moment. And lots of other
people have put worked out recipes online.

As for cooking classes, Trimaris is a long way away, but we usually
teach a couple at Pennsic, to which many Trimarans come. Lots of
other people teach classes there too.

Fifteen years ago, a group that wasn't doing period cooking could
claim, with considerable justification, that learning to do period
cooking would be a lot of work, and although it would be nice to have
tasty period food at their feasts, other objectives had higher
priority. At this point, thanks largely to the net, any group that
wants period recipes can find lots of them, for free, with about half
an hour spent searching online. Anyone who wants to learn to do
period cooking can find extensive primary and secondary sources
online, can join the cooks list and ask questions of other people who
have been doing it for a long time, and can, with a little more
effort, find classes to take, certainly at Pennsic and, with
reasonable luck, at kingdom teaching events.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/